Follow-up questions: UW photo courses

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dick Analog on March 18, 2005 at 07:30:31:

In Reply to: Move slowly. Shop around. posted by Elaine on March 17, 2005 at 15:40:16:

Thanks, Elaine for your comments & advice. I was really hoping to hear from you, as a representative of the dedicated, experienced film photographers.

I had never thought much about taking an UW photo course - I'm more of a learn-by-doing sort of person. And I'm sure the learn-by-doing approach has sometimes cost me more time and $$$ than it should have, or has prevented me from picking up some skills that could only be passed on by an experienced mentor. I've read a few reviews on Undercurrent.org of photo courses taught as part of live-aboard dive trips in the Caribbean, and I have yet to hear someone say that that type of course met their expectations; they usually feel that they didn't get good value for the premium they paid for the instruction.

I remember reading in your bio posted on the Slug Site (not as a slug, of course ;-) but with your recent nudibranch photo taken at Catalina) that you had been been taught early on by Cathy Church. Did you attend her courses on-site in the Caribbean? You also made a reference in a recent BBS post on her new book, that she offers on-line courses: do you feel there would be any value in taking an on-line course? And finally, are you aware of any local UW photographers that offer serious, in-depth instruction? (maybe I'm wrong, but my gut feeling is that the usual programmed photo courses taught by the local dive shops would be too basic)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]