Re: So true

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by finfan on April 11, 2005 at 14:42:57:

In Reply to: Your input is informative, thank you posted by Elaine on April 11, 2005 at 14:26:52:

The fundemental problem and the public image problem commercials have is that they just don't get the idea of selective harvest. They decimate areas, taking everything within their legal limits and then wonder why fishing sucks.

Let's face it there's a reason why they aren't doctors or lawyers and it isn't because they couldn't afford the schools (at least not entirely). They are, though, pretty hard working individuals. Scratching out a living from the ocean isn't easy and I admire their work ethic.

I see the rec's as getting much more into catch and release and only take what you can eat. That's not to say we all apply that sense of reason, but more and more organizations are promoting those values. Like with commercials, it's a slooow process but it has started to take hold in the rec fishing community.

I've dove and fished for over 30 years off this coast. No one could rationally argue that our fish stocks are where they were before, but on the bright side some things are rebounding and DFG is learning from earlier management miscues.

If the rec's and conservatives ever figure out how to work together even you and I could see some significant changes in our lifetime. Keep your fingers crossed.

ps Love your pictures!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]