Re: Chamber Day - real, or a scam?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl Huggins on April 04, 2000 at 15:35:38:

In Reply to: Chamber Day - real, or a scam? posted by Jeff on April 04, 2000 at 01:43:58:

Jeff,
Chamber Day is very real.
The funds generated insure the continual operation of the Chamber.

Currently we receive a $102,000 grant from LA County to operate the Chamber 24 hours a day, year round.
The actual budget for the Chamber is $160-180,000. So we need to raise the difference.
This is where Chamber Day and the other fund raisers come in.

Our first goal, with Chamber Day and other fund raisers, is to make it through the fiscal year with enough funds.
Our second goal, and the one we are striving towards this Chamber Day, is to raise enough so that we can at least enter the next fiscal year with the budget funded and the program more secure.

I am not sure where the idea of "free service" came from, but as far as I know that has never been the case.
As with any County medical service, treatment does not depend upon ones ability or inability to pay.
As with any of their medical services, LA County Medical Center will attempt to recoup their costs (which includes a percentage of the annual grant to the Chamber) by billing the patient or their insurance.
However, even if the County does collect any money for treatments the Chamber does not receive any of those additional collected funds.
We only have the initial County grant and the funds raised by the generous support of the diving community to keep the Chamber going.

If you, the captain you talked to, or anyone else reading this post has further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me by phone (see below) or e-mail.
--
Karl Huggins - Program Manager
USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber
(310) 510-4020
huggins@wrigley.usc.edu

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]