Re: Knife

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scubaladee on September 21, 2000 at 07:55:49:

In Reply to: Re: Knife posted by kelphead on September 20, 2000 at 23:01:57:

It was an airport police officer who I believe was suffering from the "Barney and his one silver bullet in his pocket" syndrome. He made quite a spectacle - holding the knife up high in the air, asking another officer to come and look at this, at the same time loudly asking me if I have ever been arrested before and do I have any prior felony convictions. His behavior was almost screaming " Hey, Andy, got a live one here !!". In any case, I was not in a position to argue the with anyone, as I was clearly wrong. Later, when we finally moved into the office, he quoted codes to me, but again, who at that moment would stop and take notes?

When he told me it was a felony offense to possess the knife, and asked where I bought it and what my intent was. I answered his questions and asked him if it was illegal to possess it, why I could buy them at Sport Chalet? (only b/c it was the first sporting goods store I could think of). That's when he explained that using the knife for it's intended purpose is not illegal and likened it to the martial arts implements. They are tools in the studio setting and lethal weapons out on the street, which are illegal.

Again, I was wrong . It was an honest mistake. The knife was in it's sheath, at the bottom of my US Divers briefcase. I just didn't see it when I repacked for my business trip. But back to Ted's original question about whether or not it's legal to carry a 3" knife in CA - I don't know. I only know what I was told by the airport police. I agree with you and your husband that there are some officers ignorant of the laws. But, this was in an airport. And honestly, even though I made a mistake by having the knife with me and I had no intentions of using it as a weapon, I'm still glad they found it. I don't want some wacko to smuggle a knife or gun onto the planes either.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]