NORTH COAST PARTY UPDATE No. 2

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Sedletzky on October 15, 2000 at 22:44:27:

I did some research on Anchor Bay Campground and it seems that they have turned the site into a year-round trailer park for retirees.
There are hardly any spaces available for regular campers...too bad.

So, I have decided to move the campout to Ocean Cove Campground located right on the ocean about 30 min. drive south of Gualala.
This campground caters to divers and has hot showers, game cleaning area, boat ramp, small rocky beach, but only has porta-potty's.
There are some really nice sites there that over look the ocean. I have not yet decided what area I be in, but I will post the info as soon as I figure it out.
The sites are first come first serve and run $12 per night per vehicle. The boat ramp cost $8 to launch. Boats up to 18 feet can be launched there but I recommend either an inflatable or a rugged hard hull with a shallow draft. Also a 4 wheel drive is recommended to pull out a heavy boat.
This site is ideal for kayaking up and down the coastline. The Abs are a little scarce off the beach but if you can dive deep enough and look under stuff you can easily get your limit right there.
Another nice thing about this campground is that it is privately owned so guests can have a more freedom to camp as they wish as opposed to state parks which are very strict. That means that we can have our bon fire and carry-on like lunatics if we so choose.
There is a store right there for anything you may need, and on the weekends there is a guy in the campground who does air fills out of a portable trailer.

If camping is not for you then you could stay at Salt Point Lodge right acros the road. They are a 4 star facility and have an excellent restaurant. They also have a hot tub and sauna for their guests.

Gerstle cove is right up the highway and we must do a night dive there. It is an underwater preserve where nothing can be harmed or taken and the fish life at night will blow your mind!
There are numerous hiking trails all over Salt Point State Park for those that like to hike.

Fort Ross State park is just south and features to wreck of the Pamona sitting in 35 feet of water. There are also some good size abs there.
I know of numerous good diving spots up and down the coast, and I'm hoping to find a few more killer spots during that weekend.

In Gualala there is a place that rents kayaks and also air fills can be obtained at the True Value Hardware there 7 days a week.
Anyway, this change of location is permanent and they dates are remaining the same, August 10,11,12, 2001, so go ahead and make your plans!

I will be posting this info periodically along with any added info that I can think of.
If anyone has any questions please e-mail me or feel free to call me at (707) 538-1276 and I will be glad to assist you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]