Re: Poor training or lack of experience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on October 19, 2000 at 18:02:49:

In Reply to: Re: Poor training or lack of experience posted by Eric Poulas on October 19, 2000 at 17:38:03:

Next time you are around the Great Escape give us a heads up and we'll try to arrange to be on the same boat.

FTR, I don't hold anything against anyone. I have said often that I have done some of the dumbest things imaginable underwater and feel lucky to have survived it.. I no longer choose to engage in dangerous stuff and have taken a long hard look at my diving and the dive industry in general. Some of my views are in direct conflict to industry desires. For example I think when a fatality occurs we should openly discuss it, most industry people try to keep it under wraps so as not to allow the impression that you could die diving. This would mean less customers. I said we should look at each one and learn from it. It is clear to me that thetrend towards fatalities and solo diving is crying out.. Rather than look at this issue we get into debates about semantics and we invent new terms to misdirect the issue.. I don't accept such nonsense so I stay in and work through it. I have a couple of very strong dive buddies ( Troy Bagwell and Kendall Raine ) that could add a great deal to these forums but they choose not to get involved when they see how the debate gets debased.. Walker get's called rude and arrogant, Terry seems not to get beat up too badly and, well, you can see that I have had my share of scraps..

For sure I don't believe that everyone will sign off on my type or style of diving. I state what I'm for and will willingly compare it against anyone's line by line. All too often the debate get's misdirected and we are accused of being obnoxious, rude or whatever. It's easy to take potshots at DIR because George has set the tone, the impression is out there so it becomes a easy scapegoat. I continually invite a discussion of the issues and I remain available to discuss them.. I also have no problem with anyone that wants to dive anyway they want, but what I will do is speak out if the advise or recomendations are dangerous in my view. These are simply my opinions and people are free to agree or disagree with them, I won't loose any sleep over it either way. You will be surprised at the amount of e-mails that I get privately asking questions that people don't want to ask on the NG's.. So there must be something to what I'm saying because an aweful lot of people are considering it..

On the face of it, it works.. But pride often times get's in the way of open mindeness..

Anyway, hopefully we'll see you soon and I agree that from what we have heard from Frank he doesn't appear to be the guy I would want mentoring me...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]