Where lies the danger in my limited overweighting to achieve more loft?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on November 16, 2000 at 23:24:37:

Here are the facts:
I could do with two, possibly three pounds less and still be neutrally buoyant at the end of the dive, but I'd be too cold with my current drysuit/undergarment combination. So, I add the weight, inflate the drysuit more, and am happy.

My drysuit is a custom fit crushed neoprene (CF300), i.e., there is no excessive bagginess anywhere. No bubble concentrating at one spot but a nicely distributed air cushion. As long as I stay horizontal. When I invert, air moves into my legs which stabilizes me in that position until I tug and roll, and all is well again. When I get into a vertical position, I tend to loose air through my neck seal which is not tight enough. Which is why I (successfully) avoid this position.

In case of a total flood of my drysuit, my 37lb wing will provide sufficient buoyancy and if, on top of that, the fan gets hit, I can selectively ditch weight in increments.

Now I wonder where my way of providing thermal protection is dangerous.

If I wore more undergarments, I would necessarily have to add more weight too (and probably arrive where I am now). Why would that be less dangerous?

Eins

PS: Just to repeat the point--the way my drysuit fits me, there is no space for the air to collect at one spot. The system actually works for me (because I maintain a horizontal position when I dive) and has not created an uncontrollable situation yet, since 113 dives in this suit.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]