Search prior to permission

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on November 29, 2000 at 12:43:58:

In Reply to: Re: DF&G search posted by Ken Kurtis on November 29, 2000 at 11:50:50:

Well, now that you mention it, he did start poking at the dry-bags on the kayak before he even asked for my license. I didn't even really think about it until you mentioned the whole "limits" thing. Does a DF&G officer have to have permission to look through a bag, even if it is sitting in (on) a kayak?

I figure any "peace" type officer has a hard enough time without my being obnoxious. I really don't mind if they poke through my stuff, because I don't have anything to hide. Some of my more paranoid privacy friends think I'm nuts, and that I should refuse any request. But I'm not kidding, they're always around. I was surprised I managed to get off the Vision sans inspection. Heck, I got checked one time two days hike up in the Sierras, four miles from the nearest trail (by a guy on horseback). Oh well.

So, I too am curious about the limits of their power. Not that I really want to be confrontational about anything, but how far can they go?

And as a secondary question, what are the "landing laws" for beach diving? How about the filet laws on the beach. Do you have to leave the 1 inch square patch of skin on a filet if you land the fish whole (a la beach dive) and filet it on the shore?

Hmm, questions, questions...

JRM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]