Re: Central Cal. (Santa Barbara question)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on December 22, 2000 at 12:30:23:

In Reply to: Central Cal. (Santa Barbara question) posted by Newbie on December 21, 2000 at 16:05:31:

Newbie:

The San Marcos pass is 2500 feet (HWY 154). Going around on HWY 1 through Nojoqui pass, you get to about 950 feet, if I remember correctly.

People from Truth Aquatics have told me that they know of actual cases where divers have gotten bent driving home on the 154 from boat trips. I would definitely avoid ascending to that altitude after a boat trip, and if you really need to get to Buellton/Solvang/Santa Ynez area, take HWY 1.

If you got certified in Santa Barbara area and your instructor did not tell you this, you should consider patronizing a different instructor.

So aside from the previously mentioned drunks, you have another reason to avoid taking the 154 after diving.

Aside from ascending to altitude after diving, one thing to remember about that area is that there are now lots of wineries up by Santa Ynez and Los Olivos that are pouring their wines ("wine tasting") essentially right on the side of the road. And that is where a lot of the drunks come from (it really is nice to do the wine tastings, I highly recommend it - but take along a responsible driver).

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]