Promoting vs. Discussing/Solo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on January 04, 2001 at 23:04:25:

I'm taking the liberty of moving this up because some may not have seen Michael's response way at the bottom of the page but I think his question goes to the heart of the heated debate about solo. I think it can be a valuable disucssion for all if we follow Mike's request and check the ego's and the tempers at the door, and if we really read and understand what people will say. Mike posted:
--------------------
Ken,

I have an idea, you list all the things about solo diving that makes it safer and I'll respond..

And then in that same vein of cooperation I'll list all the things that make Nitrox safer and allow you an opportunity to respond..

No flames but simply an open honest discussion of the facts..
-------------------

The short answer to "What makes solo diving safer?" is . . . "Nothing."

So let me start by dispelling the first myth, at least as far as anything I've posted or believe.

I have NEVER posted nor do I believe that solo is safer than buddy. I do NOT believe that everyone is qualified to do a solo dive (inlcuding some people who already do it regularly) or that it's something that people should be striving for. I personally ALWAYS prefer to dive with a buddy. However, if I'm in a situation where a buddy is not available, depending on the circumnstances, I MIGHT choose to dive solo. (I might also choose to sit out the dive.)

I DO believe that solo diving carries a higher degree of risk with it than diving with a buddy (which also has a level of risk, as does ANY dive), in the event that something should go wrong. However, I have decided to accept the degree of risk that diving solo adds. And I very fully respect the right of others to make a personal decision for themsevles, that this is a degree of risk they find UNacceptable.

When weighing relative risk in other areas of diving, there are some things I simply won't do.

I will not do a deco dive as I feel the relative risk should something go wrong and you get bent is too high. I won't dive deeper than 130' and rarely (personally) go below 100'. I won't dive nitrox because I don't want to deal with a hard bottom or oxtox concerns, and since I can get to a no-d limit on air (and won't deco), the extended bottom time is of no interest to me. Since I'm not doing really deep dives, I have no interest in or feel the need for tri-mix. There are some others but you get the gist.

What I find ironic with this disucssion sometimes is that some who are passionately anti-solo are very comfortable doing a 300' deco dive (with a buddy), using tri-mix and travel gasses, doing multiple stops and then finally deco-ing on 80% O2 at 15'. Personally, the relative risk of that dive is far outside my comfort zone and I choose not to do it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that IMHO the relative risk of that 300' dive is higher than the relative risk of me doing a solo dive at 30' within 100 feet of the dive boat. But not everyone will agree with that and that's what personal choice is all about.

But back to the main point. Solo diving is NOT safer and is NOT for everyone anymore than deep diving, deco diving, tri-mix, etc. is safer than shallow air diving or is appropriate for every diver.

Thoughts and comments are welcome. Mike's off to Florida and I'm not sure when he'll see this so others who share either his view, mine, or something in between, should feel free to chime in. And remember, at Mike's request (and I heartily endorse) . . . no flaming.

Ken Kurtis
NASUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]