Re: Interesting . . . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerry on January 08, 2001 at 18:59:45:

In Reply to: Interesting . . . . . posted by ChrisM on January 08, 2001 at 17:06:39:

Some years ago it was widely believed that when you ran OOA during deco you had five minutes to surface, get another bottle, and redecend safely. I theorize the five minutes came from the typical shortest delay between surfacing and the onset of symptoms. Now I think that the time was actually a lag between the formation of bubbles and the death of brain cells from lack of O2. Anyway, that particular urban legend is no longer taught. The scenario would not be called in water recompression because no symptoms existed, but it is similar.

My own biggest objections to IWR are 1) the probability that it woulden't be effective because of the depth and volume of gas required (table six req's 165 fsw) and 2) the possibility of symptoms appearing while at depth.

In a remote location it might be thought viable, but around here a chamber is never very far away.

Is Carl still posting here? If so maybe he will comment and we can stop guessing.

FWIW

Gerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]