Re: to "AA" and Seahunt re: DIR (half-assed and otherwise ;-)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on January 08, 2001 at 19:41:11:

In Reply to: to "AA" and Seahunt re: DIR (half-assed and otherwise ;-) posted by Green_Manelishi on January 08, 2001 at 10:38:39:

1) Could you drop the 'stroke' term. It is just meant to be an insult coming from a person who seems to pride himself on being arrogant, superior and confrontational.
2) Good point. If I followed DIR buddy rules, I would have made about 1/3 the dives I have.
3) When lobster diving, I usually follow an extremely erratic unpredictable profile. I'm not sure how you plan your profile for a lobster dive. (I'm not sure if you are a bug diver) I have never found that to be possible. I have found that when following a relatively safe profile, I can get in about 50% more bottom time with a computer.... HAve you ever dove San Miguel Island. It is good for fantastically erratic profiles.
4) Where did you find a console the size of a brick? I've never seen one. Mine is about the size of a couple packs of cigarettes and very easy to grab, even if I toss it back between my legs. If I push my bottom time, I start my ascent and then automatically, with no need for thought, grab my console for a quick last look. Perhaps it is just practice, but I never have trouble finding my console and it never gets in the way. That is for my bag and gauge to do.
I carry a gauge clipped to my BC. It's a horrible place and I almost never use it, but if I do, I don't want it in my bag.
I do reach in holes with either hand and sometimes both. Having my gauges ever present is not a priority. I always track my air and depth well enough to avoid surprises and I rarely need my compass, but I like it convenient when I want it.
"What is the point"? That is the point. If you are really a serious about hunting and exploring, you go the extra mile, because it's there and so are the un-trampled dive sites. Read my article about free diving Malibu. Extremely long swims were the rule, because divers have made the nearer areas look like a well used park. I could never have done the great dives at the pinnacles at Dume, dove Paradice Cove or Latigo Point if I had not been willing to go to the effort of the long swims... and in my essay, I describe the plans for bail out that must be made ahead of time. Don't dive up north if you aren't ready to go the grueling distance.
I have no problem with your opinion, it seems fairly in the realm of reason, but I hate to tell you, the DIR folks say that part DIR is not DIR at all.
Really, dive as you want, but don't endorse DIR until you are eady to accept all that they demand... and that is more than you mention here.
You are giving your version of DIR tempered with reason. (like I would be inclined to). The DIR people don't do that. Endorse them now, get dissed by them later.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]