Re: A question for MHK: RE Mxed Gas Diver Deaths

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on February 05, 2001 at 12:42:47:

In Reply to: A question for MHK: RE Mxed Gas Diver Deaths posted by mattschechter on February 05, 2001 at 12:28:14:

My sense is that there is some correlation of the events, but I would quickly add that while you may very well in fact have more experienced divers willing to go deep, that doesn't always mean they are trained properly..

For example look at the TDI crowd.. They compete with each other to see how deep they can go on air.. Comments like I passed out at 400' on air are common place. They practice using weights behind there knees so when they pass out they will float up and then the safety diver can catch them..

Furthermore you know have PADI throwing there hat into the ring and teaching diver's that it is OK to dive to 165' on air..

Ironically enough PADI wants the intructors on mixed gas... Can't you just see the first lawsuit after a death???

If it's OK to teach deep air then why isn't the instructor breathing air????

So in short, the landscape is changing and diving is as much about approach and attitude as it is about skills.. The relentless pursuit to defend dangerous diving practices is as much of a danger as it going to 175' on air solo...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]