the NIGHTMARE buddy scenario

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on March 09, 2001 at 11:05:18:

In Reply to: Re: 3 person buddy teams have plusses and minuses posted by AADIVER on March 08, 2001 at 11:38:18:

AA-Diver, I complete agree with you, that a nightmare of a buddy is the most dangerous thing. And I have been there and done that too.

All of my friends and many of my neighbors know I dive. I get lots of invitations and requests to accompany them on scuba. Then I do my D/M thing with the group and buddy them up according to physical size and experience, and we go out into the water together and I watch over all of them.

We go on our dives together and everyone is usually happy. We come home and BBQ around the pool and everyone else joins in too, and its story-time about scuba in the Ocean that day!

Sometimes its not such a happy story. I give somebody 2 strikes from the get-go. The first time we dive together, if they screw up big time, and endanger both of us, then they get the lecture from me on the drive home.

The second time they screw up, well then we just talk about trivia or sports (Oakland Raiders Football !!!) on the drive home, and after that then I wont dive with that person ever again, because solo diving, as lonely and as dangerous as it is, is still safer than diving with an idiot. Youre right about that.

/s/ RaiderKarl
NAUI OW1 '75, SSI AOW & Rescue '00, PADI DMC '01

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]