welcome to the spooky Trench!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by R/K on March 21, 2001 at 15:24:58:

In Reply to: Re: yo Big Jeff, heres the skinny on that! posted by Jeff B on March 21, 2001 at 10:32:46:

Yup, its spooky alright! If you are going to dive into the Trench [I capitalize it out of respect and fear] then dive the north end of the beach. That takes you into it faster, which leaves you with more available air.

The south end is mostly flat, starting at a depth of 25' then deepening gradually to 65'. If you swim underwater for a quarter mile from the south end, you run into the trench, but by then you dont have enough air to enter it, so you have to turn around and go back.

The south end has a reef with lots of beautiful things to see, but the surge is rough there due to it being exposed to the open Ocean and the swells coming most often from the northwest. It also has a small kelp bed, and a family of sea lions that like to frolic with the divers.

The north end has a deep reef that will take you gradually down. My friends were exploring that deep reef to about 110 feet last weekend when I was submarining down to its depths along the sand channel beside the reef.

There is continuous sand between the north rocky reef and the south rocky reef, with the crevass of the Trench in between. The sand is flat on the south side, and near vertical on the north side.

The surf, WHEN it is enter-able, is lightest at the extreme north and south ends of the beach.

DO NOT enter or exit this beach anywhere in between. DO NOT.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]