I'll step into this.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on April 02, 2001 at 22:59:58:

In Reply to: Where to get certified? posted by Charles on April 02, 2001 at 22:24:36:

The problem is that each of us has different feelings and beliefs about which shop is best. Then there is all this stuff about which agency is best. So I will try to boil it down a bit.

First you need to figure out where you will live. Once you are settled down you need to find a shop close to home. Once you get to like a shop, give them your business. Now, how to find a good one.

I think you should avoid chain sporting goods stores. They think of diving as just another product line. Stick with "dive shops". You might want to attend one of their club meetings and meet some locals. Once you think you have a shop in mind, you might post a message here and ask if anyone with good knowledge would comment on the shop via private email. Less public slander will happen this way.

Another thing. The water here is cold. We do not have hot summers at the beach like most places. You should get used to swimming and snorkeling in our ocean and dealing with surf before you start scuba diving. Those water skills will make your diving much safer and more pleasurable.

Diving here is great fun and there is much to see and experience. Welcome to California.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]