Re: It's Time To Be Responsible

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mike on April 11, 2001 at 11:40:06:

In Reply to: Re: It's Time To Be Responsible posted by randy54 on April 11, 2001 at 10:42:29:

The big problem that i see on the diveboats versus the big commerical ops or the guys on the Redondo Beach barge with rod & reel is that the divers take all the nearshore stuff that lives in the rocks. Things like Calico Bass, Tree rockfish, sheepshead (the sort of stuff divers would see at the typical So Cal site) and the like just do not make a big part of the commercial catch. The commercial guys are going for pelagics, or flatties (halibut, sole, etc) and if they are going after rockfish, they are dragging the bottom in areas that are some distance away from most of our near-shore dive sites.

I am really beginning to fear that there are too many hunters in the water going for the local reef-dwelling fishes. Everytime i go out, there are some guys spearing pathetically small sheepshead, sandbass, croakers or tiny little boccacio. Most rec divers probably have never even encountered white sea bass or 'cuda or yellowtail, mackerel, bonito, soupfin shark, dorado or any of those other commercially desirable species. Of course, those same commercially desirable pelagics are much harder to get to for the guy with mask, fins and snorkel.

This has been my observation anyhow.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]