See "Mission Aborted" below.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JStone on May 02, 2001 at 21:01:15:

In Reply to: Let’s get back to “recreational” diving posted by scubabum on May 02, 2001 at 17:53:58:

My dive at Arch Rock began without any intention of diving to 120'. I was a recreational diver on vacation in a beautiful location. Heck, I was told it was on Jaques Cousteau's top ten list. I was diving a plan to 70'. I marveled at the flora and fauna as I barrel-rolled beneath the overhang. But, then I saw a herd of meandering stingrays with huge wingspans parading along the bottom of the arch. I descended towards them . . . . and once again marveled at their grace. At 100' I saw the clear outline of a rectangular stone on the bottom. I could see that there was an inscription on it. I couldn't make out what was inscribed. I pointed it out to my buddy and communicated to him that I was going to check it out. I descended towards it until I saw . . it was a memorial to a dead diver. So, there I was, lured like a sailor by the Lorelei. I checked my computer. It showed high nitrogen concentration (not into deco range). I began my ascent fixated on my computer . . . watching as the diamonds decreased within the green area of the scale. I came away from that dive with a "blind" confidence. I wonder how many "recreational" divers are tempted as I was . . . or how many yield to those temptations as I did. I'm pursuing advanced dive education because I understand the LIFE SUPPORT nature of dive equipment and procedures. Most of my diving will probably remain "recreational." But, I will engage in tech diving as well. That activity is consistent with who I am. I will feel much more confident in all of my diving activities after my training. I will also feel much more confident in anything I share in the way of advice to others about diving and dive training. The "Tech" presence on this board provides priceless information to recreational divers . . . . whether or not they ever use it to cross into tech realms or simply to clearly understand their rec limits.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]