Glad you're back? John Walker died last weekend.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JStone on May 30, 2001 at 23:45:49:

In Reply to: BBS is back online posted by Chris on May 30, 2001 at 22:39:15:

"We only lost a few days of posts, but it was mostly DIR bs that nobody really cares about."

Hmmmmmmmmm . . . . . I just completed a DIR fundamentals class over the weekend. My instructor was John Walker. The skills and principles taught have application to all forms of diving . . . recreational and technical alike. Our focus was on bouyancy/trim, communication, propulsion techniques, equipment considerations, OOA scenarios, navigation, gear failure, basic rescue skills in common scenarios, gas supply management, and a whole lot more. If these things are bs in the minds of divers I'm very concerned for their safety. This course doesn't require DIR specific gear configuration for its students. It teaches skills that will assuredly save lives. I may have contributed to John's death once . . . but I saved his life twice during our drills. (Lest anyone be truly concerned, John is alive and well . . . . although his skills at "getting lost", "passing out", "convulsing" and "dying" are remarkable.) All of this is of course meaningless if by "bs" you mean "b"ashing "s"tatements. I encourage everyone to take the DIR Fundamentals class. It gave me what I had hoped to acquire in my advanced certification but didn't get. If you don't take the class then study the core of DIR philosophy. A life support equipment dependent and life support skill dependent activity like diving is far too dangerous to not engage in constant efforts towards improving and perfecting both equipment and skills. Oh, I almost forgot . . . the skills and confidence I gained, and will gain, will make my diving a much more fulfilling and fun activity. I hope that all divers experience diving as a safe, fulfilling and fun activity in life. I hope that the discussion here will contribute towards that end.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]