Re: Fins

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon on June 03, 2001 at 23:49:28:

In Reply to: Fins posted by simon on June 01, 2001 at 12:35:55:

I've been using the Biofins for about two years and I for the significantly improved air consumption, excellent power and absence of cramps. I can't speak to other models, but since the principle is pretty much the same for all split fins, I'll offer my 2 cents.
For regular swimming, I find the best action is a very relaxed, easy and slow flutter kick; allow your legs to flex freely at the knee and ankle.
For sprints, I use pretty much the same action but add an extra "snap" in the last part of the kick as the knee comes near to full extension. This little snap delivers a noticable surge at the end of the kick with very little increase in effort.
Other tips I've learned -- I wear ankle weights mainly for trim purposes but they help keep the fins underwater when I'm surface swimming, which increases their efficiency. I also prefer swimming on my back, which keeps them sumerged.
I recently went back to my Jetfins when a friend tried my Apollos, and I was really surprised at the difference. I used to be a huge fan of Jetfins, but in comparison, they felt very heavy (even compared to ankle weights), clunky. The footpockets felt stiff and awkward. I could still move fast with them when needed, but the effort was much greater. Swimming with Jetfins feels like running in army boots; with Biofins swimming feels like running in track shoes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]