Here's the deal....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 11, 2001 at 09:40:43:

In Reply to: Gear: The chicken and the egg posted by JRM on June 08, 2001 at 12:31:56:

We hear all the time that DIR is about selling gear for Halcyon and it is nothing more than a sales pitch or some type of marketing ploy. I just thought I would take a minute to list what is recommended (I’ll be happy to discuss the reasons behind every piece of gear and I’ll be happy to discuss the differences from other gear manufacturers. Furthermore, you’ll note that Halcyon is a very minor component of the overall gear requirements:

DUI TLS 350 drysuit
Aquatic Hood
Harvey’s Neoprene Gloves (although some in the colder waters use the dry gloves)
Scuba Pro Jet Fins (Turtle fins in the alternative)
Tusa Mask
Sea Elite manifolds
Highland Millworks Bands
Akona knife
PST or Luxfer cylinders
Barry Mille HID primary light
Barry Miller Scout lights (backup)
Suunto compass
Uwatec bottom timer
Apex or Scuba Pro reg’s
If using a computer, a suunto

And then of course the BP and wings. I believe Halcyon is the best quality but as we have said often, as long as the wings are not bondage wings, most will suffice.

I’ve posted this in the past but I hope we can now put to rest any notion that DIR is some grand marketing ploy to sell gear.. As someone else noted earlier, Halcyon was designed because existing manufacturers would not or could not make gear that satisfied the spec’s required for the dives that George and JJ were doing…

I also encourage everyone to take a DIR fundamental course because the reasons for the above gear becomes very apparent. Moreover, as a final not I'll keep reminding everyone that DIR is much more about a mindset than it is about a standardized gear configuration..

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]