Re: Dehydration from coffee--why do the dive boats support it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank O'Donnell on June 15, 2001 at 08:59:28:

In Reply to: Re: Dehydration from coffee--why do the dive boats support it? posted by msblucow on June 14, 2001 at 22:47:07:

msblucow asks:

"Also, I know that at least theoretically hot tubs aren't a good idea (gas expands when heated - duhhh :-)), but I don't recall hearing any reports of extra DCI hits coming from the Peace (the only boat I can think of off the top of my head that has a hot tub). I'm wondering, has any study ever been done comparing boats with hot tubs and those without? Just curious."

I've asked around among a few diving docs about this, and haven't gotten a 100% answer. On the one hand you're correct that heating the body after a dive could exacerbate bubbling. On the other hand, divers who enjoy a post-dive soak have made the case to me that (a) hot tubs like that on the Peace are kept to a relatively safe 102 F, and (b) skin tissues tend to be among those that offgas most quickly anyway, so unless you go straight from the ocean into the tub your risk is theoretically lessened.

Personally I lean toward the cautious side with respect to DCS, so I'd be inclined to skip the in-boat tubs.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]