Re: Terry May's Deep Air Study

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 08, 2001 at 16:52:08:

In Reply to: Re: Terry May's Deep Air Study posted by randy54 on July 08, 2001 at 15:37:44:

"Being narced may just be a natural state for me."

The same could be said for a few more on this list! A buddy of mine that has been diving for nearly 20 years more than I let me in on a secret. I knew that excessive work at depths will get you narced faster. I have forty feet of chain and an eleven pound Bruce anchor that I sometimes move when I get to the bottom. He told me that if I feel narcosis coming on, stop, relax and tell myself to breathe slowly and it may go away. I didn't believe him, but on our next dive together I tried it and it worked. I'm almosted tempted to try this technique a few more times to test it. Almost.
One of the questions on the survey had to do with the prohibitive costs of mixed gas. Most people said they would seek out technical training if the costs were lower. That sounded well and good, but many of the trimix divers I know still dive deep air on most dives due to the cost of the fills. BTW, I don't drink, and I've only felt narcosis above 150 feet once. I was at 130 feet, breathing Nitrox from a friends nine foot hose to see what it was like. When I switched back to my air, I got hit almost instantly. My bad!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]