Sports Chalet and PADI

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Johnson on August 21, 2001 at 09:59:44:

In Reply to: Thanks BrianC for the MOST informative "agency" related post. posted by Jason on August 20, 2001 at 15:24:30:

Jason,

I am glad you seemed to get a good PADI/Sports Chalet diver education, but I have a few questions and comments about your experience and how it relates to the general picture.

My first thought about your experience is that some divers require more time than others to acquire the minimum certification skills. Since you were already a freediver, you were an easy SCUBA student and probably picked up every detail your instructor mentioned or demonstrated easily.

I just picked up a schedule from my local Sports Chalet and it states they offer only 3 pool sessions. While this might be enough for an accomplished freediver, it is inadiquate for most people, as demonstrated by the diver who didn't pass.

I am curious as to what your instructor meant by, "... the instructor made it clear that while he is willing to put 'extra' amount of time to work with each individual to ensure that they have the knowledge and the skill to become safe divers ..."? Did he mean he was willing to come in more than the standard 3 times or that he was willing to concentrate extra on trouble students during the standard 3 sessions?

I think the goal of PADI and Sports Chalet is to get potential new divers to think diving is cheap and easy. To accomplish this, they certify divers in the minimum time possible to reduce cost and lower any time barrier objections new customers might have to getting certified. PADI has recognized that people like instant gratification and is trying to accomidate that. Do you agree that 3 sessions is minimal? Is 3 pool sessions enough of a minimum standard to ensure that the lowest common deminator student is adequately trained (especially in cold water envirnments)?

Regards,

Bill

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]