Thinking of a guess is not the point.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seldom seen slim on August 23, 2001 at 22:41:05:

In Reply to: Actually, posted by mike on August 23, 2001 at 11:08:55:

Mike wrote:
"It is a perfectly logical conclusion at which to arrive"

No it is not. It is just another baseless accusation, as was an earlier comment that GLnSD and I are the same individual. It is unlikely it could even become a valid hypothesis. By the nature of this BBS there is no external way to track posts. You have to at least determine if the IP addresses were the same or similar. Understand that this is not entirely conclusive. But to forgo that initiative and hastily draw a frivolous conclusion is reckless.

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
-Socrates

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
-Confucius

This boards audience is the world. To draw any conclusion of claiming to know ones identity from a crowd of thousands of eyeballs is premature and irrational. For example look at CalAbDiver's accusations to JRM. He has no proof and no evidence. He only has vague clues how can he possibly entertain a reasonable conclusion from them. His false claims have destroyed the lines of communication between the two, or at least from one direction. From my observation his public accusation is dangerous. CalAbDiver is in jeopardy of damages as a result of his slanderous posts. That may not be likely but this type of guessing (not thinking) can become a serious issue, for example http://www.politechbot.com/p-02416.html

…" you misfired on the "subjective analysis" bit. One should objectively analyze their conclusions."

You are correct. Thank you for correcting my miscommunication.

…"Oh, and at least some (sometimes more, sometimes less) thinking is required in order to make a guess."

I do not want to digress and debate what is "thinking" as that has already been done and can be done by greater minds. However I will add the emphasis that the subject pertains to "rational" and "critical" thinking and this means using both halves of ones brain. Just because the right side came up with a random thought and it was put to the keyboard before the left side analyzed what was uttered - that is "not" thinking. There is a lot of that, for example:

http://diver.net/bbs/messages/18913.shtml
The appropriate retort from Jim H. was "Karl next time you type something, do a little more research."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]