Farnsworth Banks

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on September 19, 2001 at 09:04:53:

In Reply to: Re: "Four dives is not enough experience to dive Farnsworth." posted by BadFish on September 19, 2001 at 08:45:45:

I would not say that Farnsworth is "dangerous", but its certainly an advanced site.

It is an offshore pinnacle range that is located on the back side of Catalina. Some of the pinnacles come up to 65 FSW, some only deeper. And they are all offshore.

There is sometimes a current to deal with, and lots of boat traffic, and its always the best plan to descend and ascend via the anchor chain. Because of the these conditions, I would classify it as an advanced dive site.

The reason I love Farnsworth so much is the flora and fauna. Its rare for hard corals to grow in local waters, but at Farnsworth you get to see fields of Purple Hydrocoral ( Allopora Californica ). I have also seen more white abs at this site than any other. For thos of you venturing deep, there are sand pits at the base of the pinnacles where giant bats rays play. Its a truy magical site to be enjoyed by divers who have the required training, education, experience and equipment to experience it safely.

See, I don't just dive wrecks !!

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]