Re: Complement system

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on September 26, 2001 at 11:08:37:

In Reply to: "repetative diving may surpress the compliment system" Huh? posted by AADIVER on September 25, 2001 at 17:41:55:

Medical guys take deep breath. It's amateur hour. Their are 20 proteins in the complement system. These proteins are activated by immune response-either classical or alternative. Classical refers to response to bacteria which are flagged by antigens. Alternative response is triggered by injury (e.g. formation of bubbles). The activation of the complement proteins results in inflamation and capillary damage which COULD play a role in DCI. Depletion of the complement system by multiple dives (repeated system activation) COULD set up a precondition wherein marginal response to bubbles is reduced. Diving once every weekend would not be the same as diving four times in the same day. I'm NOT suggesting that multiple dives are safer than a single dive or that this theory should cause someone to otherwise ignore established multiple dive protocols. I am suggesting that for people who are doing multiple dives anyway and are not bouncing, that the resulting depletion of the complement system MAY lower the risk of DCI.

If Karl or someone really knowledgeable is lurking, I'd love to have input.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]