Honoring Jon Hardy

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on October 02, 2001 at 09:37:57:

(As you read this, note that your letter is needed ASAP, as we have to send this packet off by THIS Friday.)
--------------------------------------------------------
We're moving ahead with a proposal to have the Avalon Underwater Park renamed in Jon Hardy's honor. The official name would probably be something like "City of Avalon Jon Hardy Memorial Underwater Park." The general concept is that Jon's teaching and impact on the industry, let alone just helping to develop the Avalon and Catalina scuba industries, merits this type of recognition.

We also anticipate that this will be self-funded, so that Avalon doesn't have to pay for this. We envision replacing the existing sign with one that indicates the new name, and putting up some sort of a plaque (like a historical marker) that explains what Jon's impact was and why he was import to diving and to teaching diving. (This also means that if you'd like to give a donation, I'd be ore than happy to start taking your money and building up a fund.)

In the overall scheme of things, we will also recognize Carl & Maggie Kohler, who originally envisioned the idea of the park. We don't want this effort to honor Jon to seem like an effort to diminish the work they did or to sweep their efforts aside. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've already had a lengthy conversation with their son, Chris, to see how we could best make this work.

The next step, prior to an Avalon City Council meeting when this can be officially proposed, is to generate letters of support for this idea. The more, the merrier. Ideally, we want to show that this idea has the widespread support of all facets of the scuba industry, as well as from prominent individuals within the industry.

If you support this idea, I'd like you to write a letter (on letterhead if you're a business) stating why you think this is a worthwhile idea. It should be addressed to the Avalon City Council, Avalon, CA 90704, express your support for renaming the park, and perhaps even throw in a few words as to why Jon was special to you, or diving, and why you feel this would be appropriate. The general theme we've been using that seems to strike a responsive chord is NOT that Jon was Mr. Underwater Park (he wasn't - nor was the park his idea as previously mentioned) but since he was probably the most well-known diving personality/celebrity in Avalon and the park is the most well-known Avalon diving attraction, it seems like a good fit.

Additionally, because Jon loved teaching people how to dive and was also interested in improving instructor standards, hopefully naming the park after him not only will have greater meaning for those getting their first glimpse of the underwater world, but also can hopefully spur instructors who bring their students to Avalon to stop and ask themselves if they methods of teaching are meeting the standards that Jon adhered to.

Letter should be mailed or faxed to me, not to the Council. I will compile everything and then forward a complete package to the Council. My fax number is 310/652-4439. Mailing address is: Ken Kurtis, Reef Seekers Dive Co., 8612 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90211.

Please note that I need to have your letter in my possession by THIS Friday, so if you're interested in wiritng a support letter, NOW would be a good time todo it and fax it off to me.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please let me know either via e-mail or phone.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]