Seahunt: Regarding Ventura....

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on October 03, 2001 at 09:55:27:

Seahunt: I know EXACTLY where you are talking about !!!

It's kind of where the 101 and the railroad tracks come closest to shore right? It's a couple of miles north of the pier.

I too have ALWAYS wondered.... The depth is right around 30 - 50 ft, and there is some kelp, but usually a stout current/surge. I have fished there (from a boat, about 200 to 300 yards from shore) and seen LOTS of dolphins plaing in the water. The times that I have been there (total of about 4 times) the visibility was very poor/ie less than 3 feet (judging by looking down on the kelp from above). As for the fishing, the Calico bite was fair, IF the yellowfin croakers gave the bait a chance to be 'seen' by something else! As soon as we casted out, we immediately hooked up with a yellowfin croaker. Time and time again. After catching/releasing them for about an hour (non stop), we decided that we had had enough. Also, something HUGE bit our bait (halibut?) and bent the rod.... When we tried to 'reel him in' he broke off the 35lb test line, so I never did find out what it was.

Maybe with the Santana conditions and such, the visibility will improve a bit... I'll make an attempt to dive that area (been wanting to) within the next couple of months or so, and let you know what I see.

Regards,

Jason.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]