Re: What's the battery life of the Cannon?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon D on October 08, 2001 at 12:03:09:

In Reply to: What's the battery life of the Cannon? posted by ChrisM on October 08, 2001 at 10:41:53:

With alkaline batteries, I found I was getting about four or five dives per set. I've changed over to NiMH rechargables and the life span seems to be shorter, which is strange because they are supposed to last longer. (Perhaps they need to be cycled a few times to reach full capacity?)

To be on the safe side, I now charge the batteries after ever trip regardless of how many dives I make. The NiMHs aren't subject to the memory effect of NiCads so it shouldn't hurt them to recharge after a partial drain.

One caveat about the Light Cannon -- it takes up to 20 secs for it to reach full intensity and you can't turn it off and on again immediately. (I wonder if turning it on and off too rapidly was what caused the two bulbs to blow?) Anyway, because of these limitations I've found it's best to leave it on all the time, even if I'm using it on daytime dives. I guess I could use my backup SL4 as a daytime light but it's just that the Light Cannon is so damn bright, Xenon/Halogen lights now seem a lot dimmer than they used to.

Anyone want to buy a King Pelican?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]