Re: entry procedures

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on December 03, 2001 at 13:19:10:

In Reply to: Re: entry procedures posted by Jason on December 03, 2001 at 12:14:32:

Jason wrote: "The dumbest practice I've seen is the PADI OW students holding hands as they sidestep through the surf. Guarantees that one will take the other down."

AMEN! The only time I've ever gotten rolled was during my PADI rescue class when the instructor insisted I "do the crab" with another student. When I complained that this was a great way to go from rescue student to victim in about 0.6 seconds, the instructor told me if I didn't follow his orders, he wouldn't pass me. Reluctantly, I backed down. Sure enough, we didn't get 3 steps before a tiny wave moved enough sand to cement our flippers and hold us in place for the big one to come and knock us down.

I don't know why anyone still teaches this. All it does is slow you down and make you vulnerable to any and every wave that comes. Maybe it works in the warm water resort destinations where the beaches are hard pack and the "waves" are about 2 inches, but out here it's a great way to get yourself killed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]