Re: Couple questions George....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by George Austin on December 03, 2001 at 14:17:38:

In Reply to: Couple questions George.... posted by ChrisM on December 03, 2001 at 13:43:05:

Re: Mask? - Rich goes out with it on his head, however I have it on my face. I find it easier if I have to duck a wave if there is a mask and I don't have to worry about the shock of cold water, closing my eyes, if I have to drop to the bottom, etc. Why on the head??**
I go in with it around my neck purely out of habit and because I'm going to shock my face with cold water anyway so my msak doesn't fog. I was just trying to say, basically anywhere but on top of head so's it doesn;'t get knocked off. On face is fine.**Reg out of mouth? - Again, same reasons, I can duck and still breathe. If I am breathing (which is why I have the reg in), I cannot embolize. The dangers of not having the reg in and ducking are higher than the remote embolism possibility, IMHO**
You can remember to breathe because you've been doing this awhile. But I think its important not to give a beginner this much responsibility. I really don't see any danger in keeping the reg out because whats the maximum time a person may have to hold his breath? Only maybe 10 seconds at the most. Our thinking on this is basically to ingrain basic breath hold comfort and that just goes back to overall watermanship skills for total beginners. Most of us came up through this sport as little kid snorkelers and pool divers watching Sea Hunt. What I see now are people who, for the most part did'nt come up that way and therefore need more training in the raw basics. Jeez, I have people ask me if they can learn to scuba dive even though they can't swim.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]