Well, I thought I did add to the discussion

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 14, 2001 at 14:07:14:

In Reply to: Easy to sit on the fence and dip your toe in on one side or another posted by Maddiver on December 14, 2001 at 12:43:06:

I mentioned why I believe that there is some validity to the presumption that Subclinical DCS may exist based on my perceptions which are based on air versus nitrox diving.

But I also alluded to the problem that there may be no such thing. What happens is someone theorizes, and those who think the theory sounds good accept it. Absent proof (which we may never have in this case) some of us assume it is true based on annecdotal evidence. Then we explain it to others as if it is fact -- because we accept it as fact. Enough of us saying it back and forth and it becomes a popular myth (sometimes called conventional wisdom) -- which may or not be true. I think there is validity to it based on annecdotal evidence, but that does not make it "true".

As to piling on related topics such as reduced ascent rates and nitrox, why would I? The question was asked about the existance of Subclinical DCS. I commented about the question and the answers.

I also editorialized and waxed philosphic about why we are a bunch of hypocodriacs and why we tend to look for how diving must be bad for us. Let's face it, whether is is being in a building where someone smoked or breathing air at 120 fsw, there are folks who will tell us that we are now at risk and should be worried. I believe a lot of this comes from the Puritans and the Calvinists, but that is neither here or there. Others will have differing opinions. As Eins said to me once, 'your mileage may vary'.

If you are looking for my opinion on ascent rates: I am for them.
And slow ones at that. Now that you bring it up, for recreational dives I think that the max ascent travel rate should be 60 fpm below 30 fsw, and 30 fpm from then on. I beleive in stopping now and then on the way up (which kinda screws up the simple calculation of ascent rates and is why I referred to travel rates above). I think that deeper squareish profile NDL dives should include a stop at 1/2 the depth and another one at 30 fsw before changing the ascent travel rate and, of course the "PADI S.A.F.E." safety stop!

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]