Re: WOW!!!! I can't believe all the response. You guys/gals are great.

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on January 01, 2002 at 23:25:44:

In Reply to: WOW!!!! I can't believe all the response. You guys/gals are great. posted by Blue Dolphin on December 28, 2001 at 23:19:26:

For most of your equipment the most important thing is fit and comfort. It's gotta fit, and it's gotta be comfortable otherwise your diving experience will not be a pleasureable one (nothing worse than fighting your equipment when you're diving).

Mask: To check you mask in store, tilt your head back so you are staring at the ceiling. Rest the mask on your face (don't put the strap on) and breath in slightly through the nose. The mask should suck down onto your face. Holding your breath tilt your head forward so you are staring at the floor. THe mask should stay put. Exhale into the mask and it should pop off. Doing this will not guarantee a good fit in the water, but gives a good indication of whch masks are definately not going to work.

Fins: Fins are really a matter of personal choice. Swimming style, fitness level and dive type will also make a difference. Personally I use ScubaPro JEt fins, the old ones. Mine are 10+ years old and aside from a few strap replacements over the years still work great. My x-wife had a pair of Sherwood fins (forget the specific type) that were the transluent plastic with a molded rubber foot. We left our gear in the back of the car (hatchback) after a dive (we went to lunch) and her fins melted.

Wetsuit / drysuit: Drysuit, first off do not buy one until you have a bit of experience diving. I dive a lot in the pacific NW (near seattle). Water up there is ~45 year round. I get cold easy, and I hate being cold. Consequently I have 5 wetsuits and 2 drysuits. Of them all, I am warmest in my Harvey's custom made semi-dry suit. It is even more warm than my $2000 dollar Moby's twin shell dry. My Harvery's commercial neoprene drysuit is actually colder than my regular wetsuit! My semi-dry is custom sized. It's 6.5mm and of 2 piece design. The hood is intregal to the shorty (rather than the farmer John as is normal). If I had to do it over (which I probably will soon enough) I would change the zipper to stop at the crotch rather than go completely down the leg (like a womans suit does).

Snorkle: Get what fits. I prefer a simple "J" style, no valves or bending. But, like someone before me said, I don't wear one when I SCUBA (except when I am teaching OWI).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]