regular regulator cleaning

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on February 05, 2002 at 19:48:05:

In Reply to: Gear Cleaning posted by Robert on February 05, 2002 at 19:22:43:

I try and give them a quick rinse on the boat when I am done for the day.
Once I get home. I generally soak my regulators for 2 to 24 hours in old ice chest full of fresh water that is flushed with a constant fresh supply.
I do this by putting a hose in the chest with it turned on low at first, then after about half an hour I turn it down to a tiny trickle.
When finished, I reattach the regulators s to the tank again, and blow them out very thoroughly.
Then I hang them up to dry for about 24 hours, and then take them down and lay them flat in one of my regulator drawers.
I use this method for my US Divers Conshelf VII, XXI, SEA, Poseidon Cyclon and Odin, and Oceanic Omega regulators.
Although most of my regs look a bit used on the outside, mostly from bug diving, they are always pristine on the inside with very little signs of corrosion.
I also occasionally flush the diaphragms Poseidons and Oceanic regs with warm water under the sink with the internal part of the regulator removed.
This removes some of the salt crystals that seem to get trapped there and are not removed by the soaking.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]