Dive Report - Sunday @ Deer Creek

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed on March 11, 2002 at 10:43:19:

On several occasions, I had tried diving Deer Creek, but for one reason or another, the visibility had never been over 2 or 3 feet on those days.
Yesterday (Sunday) was the exception. The visibility was right around 15 feet, and I finally 'got to see' what Deer Creek had to offer.
I started my dive at approx. 1:00 PM. It was not only low tide, but a negative tide, so lots of rocks COVERED with star fish / anoneme (sp?) were exposed at the shore.
Swam out to the second strain of kelp visible from the surface, and dropped down. One the way out, there appeared to be quite a few perch in and around the surf zone.
I started scanning the bottom, and was really surprized by the lack of life in what appeared to be a real nice kelp forest. Beautiful forest, but no occupants! Well, except for 2 smallish Calico bass, a couple of senioritas, and.... LOOK! Antennaes!
It was a 'potentialy' legal bug, went to grab it and whoosh! out the back door, and never to be seen again. Further 'search' efforts produced nothing as far as bugs go, BUT, I did see 2 Abalone, in the dim shade of the kelp. COOL!
Spent the rest of the time looking on reefs, nook and crannies, hopeing to find a late season daytime bug (ha!), but.... nothing.
Started heading back, while scanning the bottom. Burried in some grass, something relatively shiney on the bottom seemed out of place.
Closer look reveals a Hawaiian Pole Spear. Recovered the spear and headed back in. All in all, a good day for diving, with managable surf, and good visibility for the area, but 'lacking' in life.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]