Re: Recommendation for Dive Computers

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melvin Pasley on March 18, 2002 at 09:01:44:

In Reply to: Recommendation for Dive Computers posted by arturo on March 17, 2002 at 22:20:18:

Like you I need a little help to see. For my first dive computer I bought a DataMaxII Air intergrated for its large screen. I do not recommend it. It uses a very liberal table and assent rate of 60 feet per minute.

I now dive a Suunto COBRA Air Intergrated. It is conservative and uses 30 feet per minute assent rate which is now the standard recommend rate. You can also configure it to be more conservative.

I like the air intergrated as it computes your remaining bottom time based upon both your rate of air use and your no decompression limit. But this is a matter of personal preference. Advantage is one instrument, dis advantage, is if the computer goes down, it is one instrment and you are gageless.

As for reading the thing, I have two recommendations. 1.) I use one day throw away contacts at the cost of $1.00 per day for diving. When I am done I just toss them, and if the ocean washes them out, no big loss. My left eye is perscribed for reading and my right for distance, between them I see everyting just fine. Your doctor will give you a couple to try befoe you buy (SAMS club has them for good price) 2.) sick on bi-focals. Just stick them inside your existing mask. Many people swear by them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]