Re: Spam Question - A clarification

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan on June 10, 2002 at 07:26:20:

In Reply to: Re: Spam Question posted by Amanda Hardy on June 09, 2002 at 06:34:38:

Amanda,

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't realize you were referring to e-mail addresses people gave to you. In this case, I think the act of providing you with an e-mail address is giving tacit approval for you to send them mail. As long as you don't abuse the system, I don't think people should mind receiving periodic notices of upcoming trips, specials, etc.

If you want to be especially careful, you might want to start collecting a new list of addresses specifically for providing a periodic update (i.e., an electronic newsletter type of mailing). Ask up front if it's OK for you to send them stuff, and I don't think anyone will have a problem with this form of promotion.

Again, sorry for the confusion. I think the strongly negative opinions you got were because I and others thought you were harvesting e-mail addresses from this and other public forums. That is the true defination of SPAM, and is a big bozo no-no. Sending people information after they've voluntarily given you their e-mail address is something completely different.

Alan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]