Cheap, plastic, full-footed = freediver fins?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Franko on June 13, 2002 at 06:15:15:

In Reply to: Full footed fins posted by seahunt on June 12, 2002 at 08:00:15:

"I've always worn what can only be nicely called Free Diving Fins. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call them cheap, plastic, full footed fins."

Seahunt,

Interesting observations in your post, but just one comment about your statement above. I have a lot of pairs of cheap, plastic, full-footed fins, but I just call them cheap, plastic and full-footed. For example someone recommended Body Glove Snaps as a nice pair of fins to take along on vacation to goof around in the tropics in, so we have a couple of pairs of those, and they didn't run too much.

On the other hand the fins that I have that I'd call freediver fins are also full-footed, but the comparison stops there -- otherwise they're much longer, the material is different and they definitely ain't cheap. Moving from cheap fins like the Snaps (or a classic scuba fin like Jet Fins, for that matter) to a pair of, say, Omer Millenniums is like moving from a lawnmower to a Porsche. Have you tried a true freediver fin like a Millennium, or an Esclapez, or a Cressi Gara? I'm just wondering if you're experiencing the full effect.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]