Re: ESA's

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on July 02, 2002 at 19:06:22:

In Reply to: ESA's posted by Tribes on July 02, 2002 at 09:37:54:

Tribes asked: "Ken, I have always felt that ESA's were the dangerous OW skill we have our students perform . . . Whjat do you think?"

I agree 100% that it's the most dangerous thing for us to teach/practice. When I do these, I'm REALLY paying close attention to what's going on and bubbles from the diver, etc., etc. But it's nervous time for the instructor to be sure.

(BTW if you read the standards fully, you - instructors - are supposed to have a line secured to the bottom that you hold on to while you have a firm grip on the student. The point of all this is so that you can stop the ascent at ANY time if they stop exhaling. My reading of it is that a weighted line probably isn't quite enough since you could still pull it up.)

However . . .

I also think ESA is a valuable skill to have and the question would be - How do we expect them to master this skill if we don't teach them and give them practical experience?

Even though it's a scary one to teach/practice, I don't know that I'd advocate it's removal. Easier/calmer for us, but perhaps at the expense of a slightly diminished learning experience for the student.

It's a tough call.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]