Re: I'll take a shot at that....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on July 11, 2002 at 23:00:36:

In Reply to: Re: I'll take a shot at that.... posted by brianc on July 11, 2002 at 09:10:47:

The vis can range from 2 feet to 35 feet, with an average of 10 - 15 ft. If you can get offshore to some of the pinnacles you can get a solid 30 (provided there is not a bloom).
For fish there are (as seahunt mentioned) Lings, a big variety of sebastes family rockfish including blacks, blues, chinas, coppers, yellow and blacks, vermillions, kelp, gophers, olives, and for other fish there are greenlings (closed now) cabezon, perch. For cabezon bring an extrs mesh bag and fill it with abalone guts. When you go out to spear fish attach the bag onto your float anchor chain and when you drop down on your first dive there will be one waiting for you.
I should also mention that salmon season will be hot and heavy and last year they were in forty feet of water...40 pounders!
Also there are some good size scallops out there and plenty of red urchins.
If you get fish please bring me the eyeballs at my campsite so I can use them for the new guy initiation. I have a feeling there will be plenty of first timers.
Abalone punch cards are $12.60 and you must also have a regular fishing license in possesion. There is no abalone stamp that goes onto the back of the regular license this year, just the punch card.
I would recommend getting a copy of the DFG regulation booklet and studying it to avoid any problems with their screwy laws.
Remember Friday night is Fish and Chips night and I provide all the pots, the burners, potatoes, and the oil. All you need is to bring some fish (unless I can get enough).
As for the suit, 95% of the divers up there wear 7mm wet suits.
Air fills are available at the dive shop in Ft. Bragg.
For boat owners: If you want to launch out of Albion it is $10.00 and there needs to be a high tide to get out of the river without scarfing up a prop. The tides are all high in the mornings on th. fri. sat. of +3.6 - +3.8
Sun evening at 8:09 pm the tide will be +6.0 so I see no problem with launching there.
If you don't want to worry about tides and props then go 10 miles north and launch at Ft. Bragg. It is free. It's also a nice boat ride south to Vandamme cove.
If anyone want's to team up for boat launching you must contact me either by e-mail or call me at my office at (707) 538-1276 and leave a number so we can pre-arrange this.
If you have any other questions call me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]