Re: Cabezon not depressed up here in Washington.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on July 25, 2002 at 21:22:52:

In Reply to: Cabezon not depressed up here in Washington. posted by Mike on July 25, 2002 at 11:13:54:

Cabezon populations are severely depressed in the near shore waters everywhere in Southern Cal. They are a slow growth specie that are exceptionally vulnerable to overfishing as poignantly indicated by their conspicuous lack of (historical) abundence. They may be doing fine in the cold water environs, but here on the fringes, they are in trouble. If there is an abundance in your waters, then taking them there is not nearly as detrimental as taking them here.

Over the last 20 years i have witnessed first hand, the decline in virtually every resident specie in OUR waters. The cabazon as well as the many shallow water rockfish species are a bellweather indicator of the overall health of our nearshore fisheries. From the standard of historical abundance, we have seen nothing but a steady decline. If we don't take concerted steps to insure that OUR resident species are protected, those who come after us will live in a world adulterated by our personal greed.

There has to be a point in time when some generation conceeds to stop the depletion on behalf of those, just like you and i, who will yearn to see the beauty and abundance the we were privileged to see...

My politics are simple... i want us to make a huge sacrifice on behalf of those not yet born. i can't divorce myself from the truth that if we don't stop our sense of entitlement now, we will be stealing the beauty that we cherish from those worthy souls that will come after us...

as to you question about my trip log, i will just say that i have spent well over 400 nights alone on the sea at the most remote locations i could get to in my skiff....

i have watched the life silp away right before OUR wide open eyes.......

OUR generation has seen the biggest and the best that our waters have to offer, therefore we bear the burden of accepting the sacrifice on behalf of the next generation.

there is no greater honor than to unselfishly pass on the beauty that we have known to those who come after us....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]