Re: Dive Tables vs. Computers

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on August 07, 2002 at 11:21:49:

In Reply to: Dive Tables vs. Computers posted by Eagle Ray on August 07, 2002 at 10:48:39:

"It seems computers give you longer bottom times and are more accurate when it comes to multi-depth dives, but don't they kind of take you to the limit?"

I would say they do indeed take you closer to a limit but everyones limit is different because of many variables. I believe the tables to be too conservative and even computers have some fudge factoring built in. To me, slow ascents and doing some stops are important to decreasing DCS.

"It seems that tables are much more conservative and I can still get a lot of bottom time using them too. Why should I buy a computer over using my trusty dive tables?

Bottom time and convience. I could easily show you profiles that I have done using a computer that you would say this diver should be in a chamber. Yet the multi-level factoring that the computer constantly does made these profiles possible. If you're doing a dive or two off the beach you won't gain anything but if you do liveaboard diving with constant diving and I'm saying up to thirty dive in a week you will love it. I like the AI type that has downloadable capability which allows you to study air consumption at different levels and any vialation in ascents, O2 levels, etc. Cobra or Uwatec.

Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]