Re: La Jolla

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melvin on August 13, 2002 at 08:18:25:

In Reply to: La Jolla posted by Cajan on August 12, 2002 at 22:21:37:

La Jolla Shore is sand bottom and nothing much to see unless you to the canyon which gets to over 100 feet.

LaJolla Cove is an excellent site. Max depth 35-40 feet. Facilities include bathroom and shower.

From the steps next to the street, take a 30 degree heading to the yellow bouy. About 50 yards before the bouy, at the edge of the kelp bed (there are several) dive down and continue the 30 degree heading to the bouy. If you look sharp, and are lucky, you should see a grooming station for Giant Black Sea Bass. I have seen over a dozen here circling waiting their turn to get the parasites removed by the grooming fish. I also saw 2 blue sharks here. Lots of marine life and much to see. You will enjoy the dive. Visibility varies, can be over 30 feet, or could be 5 feet call San Diego Beach and Water Report (619) 221-8824, LaJolla Cove Life Guard Station (619) 221-8899 for current conditions and check http://cdip.ucsd.edu/models/san_diego.gif for the current swell model. Enjoy. This is my favorite dive site.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]