Another reason to have better management...

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed on October 29, 2002 at 14:49:44:

In Reply to: Hunters are not low-impact. to the gene pool posted by Chuck Tribolet on October 29, 2002 at 12:37:33:

Although I can't speak for everyone else, I, myself, favor the just-above-legal variety to the 'BIG' fish (or lobster), for the exact reason that you mentioned. Of course, when spear-fishing, one has to allow for a margin of safety (that is, if the Halibut looks barely 22 inches, DON'T SHOOT IT!!!). I do the same for the lobsters, and let the MONSTERS be (not that I've caught that many BIG ones either!).
From a management point of view, I think that there should be a size 'window' instead of a minimum size.

All hunters I've known (maybe I'm lucky....) have been VERY envrionmentaly conscious, aware, and friendly, and only take what they will eat that day (or the following).

Another thing that worries me, is that with the closures, the commercials and the party boats and what not, will put EVEN MORE pressure on the near-shore reefs and kelp beds. Since the deeper-than-120-feet closures, I've seen, on 3 different occasions, party and commercial boats come REAL CLOSE to the beach/kelp beds. I think these reefs WILL BE WIPED CLEAN pretty soon.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]