DM'a needed or not?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on January 15, 2003 at 21:56:22:

This same message was posted on this board and Scubadivernet.com. The responses are very, very close. I am not trying to undermine the authority of a DM. I feel that a good DM is instrumental in the smooth operation of a boat.
This last weekend I over heard a DM tell one of my crew not to refill a tank. That the diver had come back to the boat with only 200psi in his tank. I started to ask the DM about this and had to address another problem and never got back to this issue. I do not know if the tank was filled or not.
My personal position is I don't care how much air you come back with, as long as you come back. If I came to the surface and had 500psi in my tank, and a lot of kelp to go under, I will use that air. To be told I could not dive again after that is not acceptable. I have been side tracked for a while now, with depositions that I cannot talk about now, but I will at a later date, so I let this go and should not have.
Last night I talked to someone who told me this was a Reef Seekers standard. I did not know this. So I will bow to Ken and Billy's policy. I called Ken tonight and we talked about this. There was more to this than I heard.
I appreciate everyone's input and I think this was a very good discussion. Once again, I feel that a good, qualified, DM is indispensable.
Captain Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]