redondo beach dive - BEST VIZ in 3 YEARS

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bentman on July 21, 2003 at 18:58:20:

I dove Redondo yesterday, Sunday, July 20, and the VIZ was awesome once you got out to 70 + yards from shore and the cold upwellings came up with cold water at 55 degrees, causing 30 - 40 foot horizontal viz in the canyon and up the face toward the beach. The viz was 30+ feet coming toward shore until hiting the lousy hot water, near the shore. Closer to shore, the viz dropped down to 3 feet, green in color, and the temp went up to 71 degrees, very hot and terrible to even dive in with a wet suit. I had to get out because the water was not even refreshing anymore at that temp. BLAH !

At the edge of the canyon where the colder water came in, I saw a shovel nose guitarfish, big jelly fish trolling along by himself, multiple baby and tiny flounders, BIG Sheep crab with a major attitude, (clamped onto my partners fin and wouldn't let go, luckily it was his fin and not his nose or finger).

Can't wait until next week to dive it again, but get there early because the parking lot fills up fast by 8:00 am. Seems everybody wants to have a picnic at Veterans Park so they all get there real early and set up picnic tables and they park all over the place. Oh well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]