River Critters

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on November 25, 2003 at 22:02:03:

In Reply to: Re: Dive Report: Fossil diving inthe Cooper River posted by Elaine on November 25, 2003 at 18:48:41:

We saw some small eels and a few small non-descript fish. There are some man-sized catfish that some have seen this year, but none on my boat that day. But when you see them, they are within inches of you. I was told that if you are gentle, you can pet the catfish, but they might have been pulling my leg.

There are alligators in the summer. Cap'n Phill carries a hand gun in case of alligator problems. He said that it is a $10,000 fine if you shoot the gator, so he will just shoot the diver since it is easier.

Actually the gator story is kinda interesting. They are only a problem when you surface since they will see a hed bobbing and think that a person is small enough to eat (Like a small goose). So if a gator comes you must stick your sausage and arms up to look big and tall. That causes them to lose all interest.

They said the snakes are mostly on shore and do not pose a problem for diving.

In the water, the tannin levels are very high. This caused he water to be so dark, but is also meant that no moss or other plant stuff grows. We did not even have to wipe off the fossils; they come out perfectly clean. The only plant life I saw in the water was that lousy aquarium grass that is infiltrating into every ocean habitat. Pieces of it about 1 foot long would sweep by every minute or so. It must reside up stream somewhere and was washing down river.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]