Re: corrections

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lance on February 19, 2004 at 20:24:14:

In Reply to: corrections posted by John M. on February 19, 2004 at 15:09:40:

One has to realize that size of the seasonal squid landings aren't mainly due to the number of squid present, but due to economics of the squid market, and the markets of other fisheries.

This report addresses that issue - http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/status/ca_market_squid.pdf

The point being that smaller size of the squid landings is often a result of :

1. The commercial fisherman limiting the catch in a effort to keep supply low and demand high.

2. The economy of the areas (mostly asia) that purchase the bulk of california market squid.

3. The emergence of squid fisheries in other areas of the world that depress the prices.

4. The availability of other commercial fisheries in california that that produce a higher financial gain when squid prices are depressed.

I'm not sure of this fact, but I thought I read that value of the market squid fishery was only $18 million last year. With a market that small it is easy to see why any of the reasons above would affect the yearly catch.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't care if the yearly take numbers were lower. But, to say they are too high because they have rarely been exceeded is simply wrong. The limit on squid has rarely been met because the market can't handle it.

(please excuse all gramatical and spelling mistakes)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]