Leo dive for 3-11-04

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andrew Spring on March 11, 2004 at 23:43:03:

Dove with a buddy Jeff on the south side of the surfers rock at 9am with overcast skies-low tide. Wanted to test both, my new tank, and din conversion on the first stage. First time diving this end and I'm glad we did it. We Saw a large Sheeps crab suspended on a reef wall like a spider waiting for its prey. We worked our way out past the boiler rock to the outer kelp running into a pocket of about 15 garibaldi's. Next, I was surprised to see a legal lobster out in the open in 15 ft. I guess with warming water and a spawn soon there getting active. With air getting low we tracked our way back towards the stairs running into a pot hole in a reef. I saw a big garibaldi in there so I decided to investigate. I was astonished to see two enormous lobsters in the hole. One was around 10lbs, and the other was estimated at 15lbs. Since this was an equipment dive, no bag or guage-bummer. Maybe I'll head back this weekend, or next week to try my hand. Ended the dive with spotting a shovel nose skate, and a curious sea lion that did a quick barrel roll and vanished. Had a blast!

Good dives and blue skies,
Andrew Spring

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]